Skip to main content

Easy Skillet Apple Pie

I want to share this really easy recipe with you.  It is from the September 2011 Southern Living Magazine.  I made it for a co-workers birthday.  While it was baking in the oven our mouths were watering big time.  Yum!
 Apples, sugar, cinnamon, butter, egg whites, and pie crusts.  Basic pie!


Ingredients:
2 lb. Granny Smith apples
2 lb. Braeburn apples (my grocery store did not have Braeburn so I used Gala)
1 tsp. cinnamon
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup butter
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 (14 oz) package refrigerated pie crusts
1 egg white
2 Tbsp granulated sugar

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Peel apples, and cut into 1/2 inch thick wedges.  Toss apples with cinnamon and 3/4 cup granulated sugar.

Melt butter in a 10-inch cast iron skillet over medium heat; add brown sugar, and cook stirring constantly 1 to 2 minutes or until sugar is dissolved.




Remove from heat, and place 1 pie crust in skillet over brown sugar mixture.  Spoon apple mixture over pie crust, and top with remaining pie crust.  Whisk egg white until foamy.  Brush top of pie crust with egg white; sprinkle with 2 Tbsp granulated sugar.  Cut 4 or 5 slits in top for steam to escape.

Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly, shielding with aluminum foil during last 10 minutes to prevent excessive browning, if necessary. Cool on a wire rack 30 minutes before serving.

Ready for the oven!


Can you smell it baking??!! 

Comments

  1. I am confident it is a great pie, even though I didn't get a bite! For you see, I've been the sampler for over three decades. You are missing the absolutely most scrumptiously delicious items to ever touch your taste buds, if, you pass up this fabulous woman's cooking! She loves to fascinate your palate.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday, Love

My sweet, crazy hubby had a birthday, so, of course, I had to make him something to express to him how much I love him!  I have seen different version of "Love Notes" on Pinterest and Debbie Lanning told me about one she saw and that prompted my decision to make my "Love Note" for my Hankster. I wrote a little love note on it for him to find first thing the morning of his birthday.  And a new one each day since. I found the picture frame at Big Lots.  It is a 5x7 plastic frame. It was l.25.  I think it would look better in a pretty decorative frame out of wood, but my budget is small.  BUT I will keep my eyes open for something I like better at thrift stores and change it out once I make the find.  Then I found the scrapbook paper at Michaels for .29.  The dry erase pen was from Big Lots for 1.00.  So looks like I spent under 3.00!  I don't know if you can tell from the picture, but I wrote with a Sharpie on the paper I (heart) you beca...

Cheese Spread with Crackers

My sister has made this really good spread and I did not realize it was from a local place there in Freehome. This is good stuff! Frosty Frog Cheese Spread 8 oz. cream cheese, softened 1/4 cup sour cream 3 to 4 oz. finely grated cheese 1 1/2 tsp minced garlic parsley to taste Place all ingredients in medium bowl.  Use electric mixer to mix all together.   Serve with crackers, celery, carrot sticks.

From Twigs to Trees!

OK, girlfriends, I'm ready to show you what I have been working on for weeks and weeks.  I told you I was working on something for two special people - it is done!  Let me tell you who, what, when, where, and why.  For as long as I can remember I have given my girls a "Happy December" present.  I just love the Christmas season so much that I am ready to begin the celebration.  So on December 1 I would have a gift for my kids.  They might come home from school and find a Christmas shirt on their bed or I would present them with Christmas socks or a Christmas trinket, maybe cookie cutters or sticker book.  Just something.   For fun!  This year I made: Grapevine Christmas trees!!!!  I had lots of help!  My sister, Nancy, Mark, and Hank all helped me gather the vines.  Poor Hank got poison twice from helping me find vines!  Then I wrapped the vines around a tomato cage using the vines and thin wire. ...