Skip to main content

Merry & Bright, A Devotion

Merry & Bright



I love Christmas.  I remember as a little girl the magical times my mom orchestrated for our family and friends to truly make the season “Merry & Bright.” They were things like baking the most wonderful Christmas goodies.  Lots and lots of of goodies.  We would package them up on plates and deliver to shut-ins and special family friends.  There were four of us kids, so we did not get out of the car (Mom, working smart here!) I mean, there were no seat belt laws, there were probably not any seat belts! Anyway, She would hop out of the car, run to the door and present our gift and point to us and we would all wave, shout “Merry Christmas!” Sometimes our friends might walk Mom back to the car and say hi and give hugs. 

Another way Mom made our season “Merry & Bright” was by opening our home for gatherings.  Mom was the choir director at our church for many years.  She would always have the choir (about 30 members!)  and their families over one Sunday evening in December after church. The house, of course, decorated, the food was beautiful and yummy. I can still see, in my mind, those friends pouring into our home and hear the laughter and chatter. Everyone loved coming to the Noblitt house.

Something else special that I remember is our family would often in the evenings gather around mom as she was at the piano playing Christmas songs and we would all sing together.  Our Dad would be in his recliner and off and on between our Christmas songs, he would break out in “Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily; life is but a dream!”  That is his life theme song!  There is a story behind that and I would love to share it one with you all one day. 

There was a Nativity Scene on the piano that my grandmother painted and gave to my parents early in their marriage. It was an important part of our Christmas - always highlighted and cherished.  Every Christmas, after we had attended our church Christmas eve service, gotten home, into our p.j.’s, we would once again gather around the piano.  We would sing and Dad would read the Christmas stories to us out of Isaiah & Luke, focusing on the nativity and talking about it, thanking God for His wonderful gift, wishing Jesus a Happy Birthday.  Then….Dad would read “The Night Before Christmas” so we would go to bed and go to sleep so Santa could make his appearance!

Mom gave me that Nativity about 20 years ago and I love taking each piece out, reflecting to Jesus and the reason for the season, seeing all of us gathered around the piano, singing our little hearts out.

As women, it seems that making the holidays "Merry & Bright" often falls on us to make happen.  We pull the family together, we do the shopping, searching for perfect gifts and making sure they are wrapped, we are keeper of the calendar, remembers church commitments, writes Christmas cards, lights the candles, plans the meals; and the question is: Is it a “Merry & Bright” time for us or a “God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen…the women are too busy!” time?

We do not want to remove anything from our to-do list and that is ok.  The tasks on our list are there for a reason - so the people we love will have a beautiful Christmas - even if it means we burn our candle at both ends to make it happen. 

During the holidays my grandson, husband, son-in-law, and niece all have November birthdays and my son has a December birthday - so that adds to the events to keep track of and plan during an already packed season. Sometimes my brain and tasks lists were spilling over and I have to eliminate some things. One year when the kids were all at home still, I had to have major surgery on December 10th.  You know what that meant!  I had to have EVERYTHING ready for Christmas.  I baked and froze goodies and meals.  I got the Christmas stocking items, bagged, labeled for Hank.  The gifts were bought, wrapped and hidden.  The home was decorated.  Mark had his birthday party at the top of December instead of on the 20th. I was working full time at the elementary school, I was keeping up with all my church commitments.  I even went shopping all night Thanksgiving night with a girlfriend to get ‘er done!  Come December 10th I was exhausted and could not wait to get on the gurney, lay down and sleep. I mean, truly, that last week, that was my focused goal.  Get to the hospital and sleep!  But my family had a “Merry & Bright” Christmas.  Yes, I had to let go of some of the gatherings we usually had at our home and a few other activities, but it was ok.

I want to encourage you - do the things you love to do for your family and friends in celebration of Christ. But do remember to maintain your focus, be sure Christmas is what Christmas is - a celebration of the Highest, our Lord, Jesus Christ.  Maybe there are some things we need to take off our plates to let our heart breathe. It is ok to let go or break tradition in order to maintain your focus. Take time to have a “Silent Night.”


Prayer -  Lord, above all, we praise and celebrate You. Help us to prioritize - to think on what brings You praise and glory. The rest can fall to the wayside. We love you first, Lord - help us to bring the Merry & Bright, help us to shine You into the lives around us.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Valentine's Day

I did a little baking for my Valentine's.  First I made Blueberry Muffins for breakfast.  Yum.  (No picture, sorry!)  Then I made these yummy looking chocolate cookies! The recipe is easy and quick.   1 box of Chocolate Cake Mix 1 1/2 TBSP all purpose flour 1/2 cup butter, softened 2 eggs 2 tsp vanilla *Optional - I added 1 cup of chocolate chips.  I wanted to use red M&M's but I forgot to pick some up. Sprinkles 1.  Preheat oven 350 2. Mix cake mix, flour, butter, eggs, and vanilla with electric mixer. 3. Stir in chocolate chips or M&M's. 4. Spill some sprinkles onto a plate.  Form dough into tablespoon size balls and dip top in sprinkles. 5.  Bake on ungreased baking sheet for 10 minutes.  Let cool 10 minutes then take off cookie sheet and place on cooling rack to finish cooling. I love a recipe that is easy and delicious!  The cookies turn out nice and chewy and moist.  Chocolate lovers better try this one. Ya'll have a nice da

Bugle Santa Mix

This is so fun!  Cuteness galore......and yummy!  This is what you need: Sprinkles (I used white nonparells - little white balls and I used red sprinkles) Caramel Bugles mini marshmallows white chocolate or white candy bark mini pretzels craisins salted peanuts Rice Chex cereal holiday M&M's Put in a large bowl: 3 cups pretzels 1/2 cup craisins 1 cup peanuts 2 cups Rice Chex Melt 8 oz. white chocolate and drizzle over mix and toss until coated.  Then spread out on wax paper to set. To make bugles into Santa Hats: Dip tip of bugle in melted white chocolate and put mini marshmallow on.  Then dip other end of bugle in white chocolate and then dip into sprinkles.  Lay the bugles out on wax paper until set. Once the white chocolate has hardened kinda break up the coated mix then add 2 cups of M&M's and the Santa Hats.  Keep in sealed container.  I used two cups of the holiday shaped pretzels and one cup of the stick pretzel. You can use the caramel b